Welcome to my life - full of Quilty Treasures and Family!



Friday, May 7, 2010



When I decided to start a blog, I only knew that I wanted it to be Fiber Arts related, with a lot of family stuff thrown in, because that is who I am.  I am a wanna be Fiber artist, hampered only by lack of time. 

I have always played around with fiber arts – making my own clothes, and clothes for my sister, mom, and my children.  I watched as both my grandmothers sewed both clothing and quilts– out of necessity – and I loved the creative process.  One of my earliest memories is of me stitching away at doll clothes – and doll quilts, and being totally engrossed.  I loved Home Ec in school, and initially wanted to be a home ec teacher, but life kind of got in the way.  I fell in love with a wonderful man, and we married, and had a fabulous family, and I got busy.  In my spare time, I sewed, started quilting in earnest, learned to knit and crochet (or I should say, relearned, because the grandmothers again had piqued my interest in those things.)  I dabbled in weaving, studied spinning, but never started, and planned all those projects I would start when I had the time.  I am still doing that – at the age of 63, I have finally realized that if I want my dream, I have to make the time for it, not just try to fit it in.
  
I have many, many projects going on at the same time!  I’ll gradually introduce them – don’t want to overwhelm anyone.  I just took a quilt off my Gammill – a very old top that a friend found in the attic of her very old house.  She was going to toss several tops she found, but asked if I would like them.  Of course I said yes, and now I’ve quilted the first one. I still have to bind it - not my favorite part of the process.  I’ll post a picture when I find my camera!  This quilt has several mildew and other stains and is not very square, but it   quilted nicely.  When I finish quilting it, and get it bound, I plan on dyeing it “tea” colored – I think that will help with the stains, and I’ll give it back to my friend. 

On the family front - this weekend is Mother's Day (Yeah!), and tomorrow we are having a family day at our house.  My hubby is building a playhouse for the grandkids, and everyone is coming over for the project.  We will cook hamburgers on the grill, and have a picnic.  It should be a great Saturday.  I may even get some quilting done - at least get that binding made and sewn on.  

Until the next time I log on - 

Blessings to all.











No comments:

Post a Comment